Saturday, February 13, 2016

Some tips for Vegans

 Since turning to a vegan diet I have realized some things which could convert to valuable advice for people thinking about following a plant based diet. The subject of veganism is a very interesting one to me, because there are so many reasons people become vegans. 

First of all there are the ethical reasons.  Some people become vegan simply for this reason. Something about the meat industry shocked them suddenly, and they turned vegan over night. Maybe they saw a video about the mistreatment of cattle in a slaughterhouse, or maybe they saw their uncle killing a rabbit for a cazuela when they were a child. They were impressed by the cruelty, and decided then and there to never eat meat again.

There are people who are vegetarian for religious reasons. Particularly the religions from India – the hindu related philosophies. For them, eating meat means that you are taking on the karma of the dead animal. Many of them feel that it’s not possible to progress on any kind of spiritual path if you are eating meat.

The environment is another reason to see veganism as a practical way to help ‘save the planet’. Animal agriculture is responsible for a significant increase in global warming. 

Meat eating has been linked to many diseases such as cancer and diabetes. Many people eat plant based in an attempt to recuperate their health, or to be healthy.

All of these are good reasons. Each one has its merit, but I didn’t turn vegan for any of these. Lets take a closer look at these issues. 
Let’s take the animal cruelty issue for instance. People don’t kill animals because they hate them. People eat animals for protein. That is a very good reason, and I will explain why that is. Getting sufficient protein on a vegan diet can be very problematic

Nevertheless, what I say is that if you can get good protein from a vegetable diet, then you don’t need to eat animals. It is quite simple. I would like to help people understand how to do this.

Health is a very good reason too, but unfortunately the vegan diet does lack important nutrients, just as a high meat diet is toxic to your body no matter how pure and grass fed your meat is. There are pros and cons to eating meat. It seems logic that meat should be part of a balanced diet, but once again, if you can get the same quality protein from a plant based diet, then what is the reason for eating meat, especially if you can take B12 injections etc.

So, as a vegan, I will give some good advice to you vegans out there. I’m talking to those of you who don’t want to be a walking gas station, or turn into a skinny concentration camp victim. Here’s some good advice if you are concerned about your protein and nutrient intake:

1. Get a good calorie and macro nutrient calculator, and put your diet through the fire. Make sure you get enough calories and protein. If you are having cravings for burgers and bacon, you are not eating enough period.

2. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Vegan food is beautiful. You are the fortunate one to be living on such an aesthetic regime.

3. Get a good B12 supplement. 

4. Eat leafy greens and berries every day. That is spinach, kale etc.

5. Soak your beans in water and apple cider vinegar for 8 to 24 hours before cooking them. One or two tablespoons per cup of beans, tvp or legumes would be ok. The acidic medium will help to release the enzymes that cause wind, indigestion. This is very important, because you can get your protein on paper, but if you don’t digest it well, it doesn’t count.



So, here you have my tips. Other advice I would give you is not to listen to any fanatical vegans, particularly the ‘raw’ variety, who tell you things like ‘everything contains protein’ and ‘it’s impossible to get a protein deficiency’.  If you want to weigh 38kg, keep following their lunatic advice.

Do you have any questions? This is a blog, so leave your comments below.

1 comment:

Mysikind said...

Nice to see someone who isn't a fanatical vegan. The apple cider vinegar tip for beans I will be trying. I do really love using chickpeas for a variety of dishes. It's also the one item my family doesn't have issues with. Another favourite is lentils for me. I'm not vegan,I tend to be more of a vegetarian but not completely as I do like fish. I've learned to listen to my body and it rarely steers me wrong. Vit B12, and vitD3 are something I found many people lack. Omega oils are also lacking. I have a couple of autoimmune diseases that I manage better with diet than medications. MUch healthier than others with the same illnesses I believe because of my diet.